|Government type||Matriarchal Monarchy|
Andor is a country located in the middle of the Westlands.
Andor is a strong, united country, taking pride in the tradition of rulership by queens. The Queen sits on the Lion Throne and openly admits to having an Aes Sedai advisor. Andor has a good relationship with the White Tower, and the Daughter-Heir of Andor is sent to Tar Valon for training whether she can channel or not. Daes Dae'mar is not as entrenched here as in the other nations, although it is not completely absent either. Commoners can count on the attention of the nobility, and so feel free to speak their mind. The Two Rivers is also a part of this country, although the customs and attitudes of the people of this region differ somewhat, because of their isolation from the rest of the world.
Clothing and Appearance
Andorans, as a people, are generally fair-skinned, dark-haired and dark-eyed. Blondes and those with light eyes are rare, though the Andoran royal line is known for having red hair.
Typical dress for men is a pair of trousers, a shirt, coat, a cloak when it's cold, and sturdy boots. Women wear long, demure dresses and shoes, with a cloak for warmth. Class distinctions are shown through the difference in the quality of cloth and workmanship. The rich also wear a fair amount of jewellery, including woven metal belts. Both sexes also dress for their occupations, with aprons, caps or gloves where appropriate.
Most Andoran villages have a fashion that marks a woman as mature. Some braid the hair, others wear a kerchief or bonnet. Styles and fashions can also differ from village to village, with some noted for preferring striped cloth, for example. Ankle-length coats are popular in Baerlon, and many men wear wide-brimmed hats in Caemlyn.
Phrases, Sayings and Adages
- Two Rivers' people can give mules lessons and teach stones.
- A queen is twice a woman, wed to a man, and wed to the land.
- One pretty woman means fun at the dance. Two pretty women mean trouble in the house. Three pretty women mean run for the hills.
- Men believe the worst easily, and women believe it hides something still darker.
- A woman's eyes cut deeper than a knife.
- Even a queen must obey the law she makes, or there is no law.
- A cat for a hat, or a hat for a cat, but nothing for nothing.
The list of names below come from Andoran characters created specifically for the Grey Tower.
- Male names: Durent, Emmond, Garren, Jaren, Jerid, Lucien, Mehrin, Tristram, Valadin
- Female names: Betrys, Calira, Fiona, Flora, Leala, Rhykana, Willow, Zaephra
- Family names: Abcolm, Antian, Cranwell, Darrow, Gymorraine, Hade, Manelle, Salere, Tabert
Middle Age English names are suitable for Andorans. You may find inspiration at Behind the Name.
The current Queen of Andor is TBD Trakand (formally: TBD, by the Grace of the Light, Queen of Andor, Protector of the Realm, Defender of the People, High Seat of the House Trakand).
There are nineteen major noble Houses of Andor.